I couldn’t let this pass by without announcing it here, it’s just a simple tool to interface Max with Arduino back and forth.
At Artica, we had a request to link MAXMSP to an industrial motor for an artistic installation witch we will speak about at another time.
This motor is a true beast, and since we have never worked with such a thing we decided to ask for help to our electronics guru David Palma.
David developed an electronic circuit to simulate a PWM analog output from 0 to 10v (originally it gives 0 to 5v), and another circuit to switch motors direction, both circuits were assembled on a shield and connected to the motor controller.
The first circuit is a transducer:
And this is the switch circuit that tell to the motor controller wich direction the motor will spin:
Then he builded an Arduino shield:
And the final part was the Max patch that send the direction states and the PWM values to the Arduino:
And this is the result:
This all started with Rui Horta’s idea of having a physical tree on stage that would support my visual projections. Rui Horta came up with a drawing and I quickly put it to 3D and sent to the great artist and set designer João Paulo Araújo who made this great master piece!
After the tree was finally built, I’ve made the first projection test, for this I created a program in Jitter, where I have a video running on the background, and on the foreground a .png transparent mask with the tree silhouette.
Everything fitted perfectly! We were astonished!!
For the subtitles I’ve created another program in Jitter that could run videos on the background and on the foreground the subtitles could be displayed and crossfaded one next to each another. Another cool feature of this program is the ability to run videos at different speedrates, this was very useful because most of the videos were created in sync with the music, was a bit tricky to sync the video with the orchester and chorus but not impossible. Another great help came from the composer João Godinho who was by my side telling me when to swap to the next subtitle.
Finally after one month of crazy hard-working days, and with a final week of non-stop working, troubleshooting, finetunning and problem solving everything worked so smoothed on the premiere, we were all thrilled and excited!!
I must also mention that the Gulbenkian crew was absolutely fantastic, without their help this epic task wouldn’t been achievable!
Click here if you want to see more photos.
I never tried midi with MAX before, and I had this controller laying around, so I created a patch for future applications and to get used to midi.
Click the image to download the patch.